What is BFD Oak Custom?
BFD Oak Custom is a download-only expansion pack for BFD3, BFD Eco, and BFD2.
What do I need in order to use BFD Oak Custom?
BFD Oak Custom requires a registered copy of BFD3, BFD Eco, or BFD2 (versions 2.1 and later only) and a suitable system on which to run it.
Can I use this product with BFD 1.x?
No - this expansion can only be used with BFD3, BFD Eco, or BFD2 (versions 2.1 or later only). BFD 2.1 is a free update to all registered BFD2 users.
Why does it have these requirements?
BFD3, BFD Eco, and BFD2.1 (and later versions) are equipped to handle the data format and custom channel layout featured in this expansion; previous versions of BFD2 and BFD 1.x cannot.
What kind of limitations exist when using this product with BFD Eco?
When using this expansion in BFD Eco, limitations apply in terms of the audio channels and articulations that are available (this is one of BFD Eco's limitations, as opposed to the fully-featured BFD3 or BFD2).
BFD Eco is a streamlined instrument based on the BFD2 engine.
What is included?
Oak Custom kit:
- Oak Custom 8"x10" Tom
- Oak Custom 9"x12" Tom
- Oak Custom 10"x13" Tom
- Oak Custom 14"x14" Floor Tom
- Oak Custom 16"x16" Floor Tom
- Oak Custom 17"x24" Bass Drum
- Yamaha Bamboo 6"x14" Snare Drum (lite version)
Remo heads used on the recordings:
- Snare: Coated Ambassador
- Toms: Coated Emperor
- Bass Drum: Powersonic
- All drums were recorded at Omega Studios in Rockville, MD.
- As an additional bonus, Yamaha Oak Custom comes complete with free cases! Useful for percussion or experimental drum-layering, these kit-pieces are created from recordings of the Yamaha drum cases being played with sticks. Recordings of the 10", 12", 14", and 24" drum cases are provided.
- There are no hi-hats or cymbals included with this expansion kit.
- All the bundled presets are designed around the cymbals in BFD2 and can be easily set up to play with electronic drumkits such as the Yamaha DTXtreme series using BFD2's mapping functionality.
How big is the download?
BFD Oak Custom is available in separate downloads for BFD3/BFD2 and BFD Eco (purchasing gives you access to both sets of downloads):
- BFD Eco: 95MB + 66MB for Yamaha case samples
You should install this version if you intend to use BFD Oak Custom in BFD Eco only. This version features all data pre-reduced for BFD Eco limitations (16-bit audio with a maximum of 24 velocity layers). It also comes with BFD Eco presets/kits - you do not need to use the Eco kits download, which is intended for the BFD3/BFD2 version.
- BFD3/BFD2: approx 1.4GB in 4 files + 66MB for Yamaha case samples
You should install this version if you intend to use BFD Oak Custom in BFD3/BFD2 and BFD Eco. You should additionally use the Eco kits download to obtain the BFD Oak Custom factory kits in BFD Eco format (if you use both BFD3/BFD2 and BFD Eco).
Is BFD Oak Custom an FXpansion product?
Yes - this expansion pack was produced by John Emrich for FXpansion. It is distributed in download form on the FXpansion site.
What mics and preamps were used for the recordings?
- Kick In: Shure Beta 52 through an API 3124 preamp
- Kick Out: Neumann FET 47 through an API 3124 preamp
- Kick Resonant: Yamaha Sub Kick through a Neve VR console channel preamp
- Snare Top: Shure Beta 57A through an API 3124 preamp
- Snare Bottom: EV N/D457 through an API 3124 preamp
- Snare Side: Violet Design Flamingo Jr. through an ATI 8MX2 preamp
- Toms: Violet Design Globe through an ATI 8MX2 preamp
- Overhead: Matched pairs of Neumann KM184s and Violet Design Black Knight mics through ATI 8MX2 preamps.
- Room: Violet Design Prototype omni capsules with Globe preamps through Focusrite Red preamps
- Ambient: Nevaton MC404 stereo mic placed in the center of the room through a Metric Halo ULN2 +DSP preamp
Do you allow license transfers?
- If you're the seller, you must contact us in advance of the sale. If you're a prospective second-hand buyer, you must check that the seller is cleared to sell. If in doubt, contact us.
- There is a flat $50 fee per product for a license transfer, which can be purchased from our online shop.
- Review copies, NFRs (Not For Resale copies, sometimes used for in-store demos), etc., cannot be transferred under any circumstances.
- We reserve the right to refuse a license transfer request.
Once a transfer is authorized and the fee has been paid, the new owner is entitled to exactly the same upgrade paths and technical support resources as if they had bought the product new.