What is BFD JEX?
BFD JEX is a download-only expansion pack for BFD3, BFD Eco and BFD2.
What do I need in order to use BFD JEX?
BFD JEX requires a registered copy of BFD3, BFD Eco or BFD2 (versions 2.1 and later only) and a suitable system on which to run it.
Please note that BFD JEX existed before BFD Eco was released - all presets and kits supplied with it cannot be loaded into BFD Eco. All kit-pieces are present, however, and can be used to build your own presets/kits or swapped into existing ones.
Can I use this product with BFD 1.x?
No - this expansion can only be used with BFD3, BFD Eco or BFD2 (versions 2.1 or later only). BFD 2.1 is a free update to all registered BFD2 users.
Why does it have these requirements?
BFD3, BFD Eco and BFD2.1 (and later versions) are equipped to handle the data format and custom channel layout featured in this expansion; previous versions of BFD2 and BFD 1.x cannot.
What kind of limitations exist when using this product with BFD Eco?
When using this expansion in BFD Eco, limitations apply in terms of the audio channels and articulations that are available (this is one of BFD Eco's limitations, as opposed to the fully-featured BFD3 or BFD2).
Also, any presets or kits contained within this expansion pack are not compatible with BFD Eco (although individual kit-pieces can be loaded as normal).
BFD Eco is a streamlined instrument based on the BFD2 engine.
What is included?
- Custom XDrum 18x22 inch kick
- Custom XDrum 8x8 inch tom
- Custom XDrum 8x10 inch tom
- Custom XDrum 8x12 inch tom
- Custom XDrum 14x14 inch tom
- Bonus reduced-detail Ludwig Super Sensitive snare from the BFD Jazz & Funk expansion pack
- All instruments played with sticks, mallets, brushes and rods
- Kick provided with wood and felt beater versions
There are no hihats or cymbals included with this expansion kit.
The BFD JEX sounds are recorded in a different room. Will I be able to blend them properly with my other BFD drum sounds?
Absolutely. BFD JEX sits well in any musical context and sounds great with any kit-pieces in other BFD-compatible libraries, no matter in which room they were recorded.
BFD JEX is recorded at Omega Studios in Rockville, MD - this is the same room used for the Jazz & Funk, BFD Percussion, and BFD B.O.M.B. expansion packs as well as various smaller download-only expansions.
What additional instruments were used for the audio demos?
The audio examples feature BFD JEX kit-pieces alongside a selection from BFD Jazz & Funk and BFD Percussion. All demos are exports of live performances directly from the BFD2 standalone application with no effects or compression except the flange kit demo which features BFD2's Flanger effect placed on the entire mix.
The following additional kit-pieces were used in the demos:
[from BFD Jazz & Funk]
- Ludwig Super Sensitive
- 14" Sabian Manhattan HHs
- 20" Sabian Med Ride
- 20" Wuhan China
- 16" Med Crash
[from BFD Percussion]
What equipment was used for the recordings?
- Kick In: Shure Beta 52 / API 3124 preamp
- Kick Out: Neumann FET 47 / API 3124 preamp
- Kick Resonant: Yamaha Sub Kick / Neve VR console channel preamp
- Snare Top: Shure Beta 57A / API 3124 preamp
- Snare Bottom: EV N/D457 / API 3124 preamp
- Snare Side: Violet Design Flamingo Jr. / ATI 8MX2 preamp
- Toms: Violet Design Globe / ATI 8MX2 preamp
- Overhead: Matched pairs of Neumann KM184s or Violet Design Black Knight mics / ATI 8MX2 preamps
- Room: Violet Design Globe with prototype omni capsules / Focusrite Red preamps
- Amb3: Nevaton MC404 stereo mic placed in the center of the room / Metric Halo ULN2 preamps
What kind of detail levels do the BFD JEX sounds have?
BFD JEX is recorded with up to 40 velocity layers for each kit-piece.
This means that the 'Large' and 'Medium' installation sizes are the same.
How big is the download?
3 files totaling approximately 1.2GB.
Do you allow license transfers?
- If you're the seller, you must contact us in advance of the sale. If you're the prospective second-hand buyer, you must check that the seller is cleared to sell. If in doubt, contact us.
- There is a flat $50 fee per product for a license transfer, which can be purchased from our online shop.
- Review copies, NFRs (Not For Resale copies, sometimes used for in-store demos), etc., cannot be transferred under any circumstances.
- We reserve the right to refuse a license transfer request.
Once a transfer is authorized and the fee has been paid, the new owner is entitled to exactly the same upgrade paths and technical support resources as if they had bought the product new.