What is BFD Heavy?
BFD Heavy is a download-only expansion pack for BFD3, BFD Eco and BFD2.
What do I need in order to use BFD Heavy?
BFD Heavy requires a registered copy of BFD3, BFD Eco or BFD2 (versions 2.1 and later only) and a suitable system on which to run it.
Can I use this product with BFD 1.x?
No - this expansion can only be used with BFD3, BFD Eco or BFD2 (versions 2.1 or later only). BFD 2.1 is a free update to all registered BFD2 users.
Why does it have these requirements?
BFD3, BFD Eco and BFD2.1 (and later versions) are equipped to handle the data format and custom channel layout featured in this expansion; previous versions of BFD2 and BFD 1.x cannot.
What kind of limitations exist when using this product with BFD Eco?
When using this expansion in BFD Eco, limitations apply in terms of the audio channels and articulations that are available (this is one of BFD Eco's limitations, as opposed to the fully-featured BFD3 or BFD2).
BFD Eco is a streamlined instrument based on the BFD2 engine.
What is included?
- Kicks: Provided with wood and felt beater versions.
- Snares: Jimmy Chamberlin snare provided in 4 versions: sticks/strainer on, sticks/strainer off, mallets/strainer on, mallets/strainer off.
- Toms: Birch Custom Absolute toms provided in sticks and mallets versions; Recording Custom toms played with sticks only.
- Additional tom articulations: Rim Shots and Rim Clicks on Birch Custom Absolute stick versions
Full list of included content:
Yamaha Recording Custom kit:
- Recording Custom 10"x10" Power Tom
- Recording Custom 10"x12" Power Tom
- Recording Custom 16"x16" Floor Tom
- Recording Custom 16"x18" Floor Tom
- Recording Custom 18"x22" Kick Drum
- Recording Custom 18"x24" Kick Drum
- Toms played with sticks, kicks played with felt, and wood beaters.
- Featuring Remo heads (Toms - Clear Pinstripe / Kick - Powerstroke 3)
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute kit:
- Birch Custom Absolute 8"x8" Tom
- Birch Custom Absolute 9"x10" Tom
- Birch Custom Absolute 10"x12" Tom
- Birch Custom Absolute 14"x14" Floor Tom
- Birch Custom Absolute 16"x16" Floor Tom
- Birch Custom Absolute 18"x22" Kick Drum
- Toms played with sticks and mallets, kick played with felt and wood beaters.
- Featuring Remo heads (Toms - Coated Ambassador / Kick - Renaissance Powerstroke 3)
Bonus lite Yamaha Jimmy Chamberlin snare in 4 versions:
- Jimmy Chamberlin signature steel 5.5"x14" Snare (Sticks, Strainer on)
- Jimmy Chamberlin signature steel 5.5"x14" Snare (Sticks, Strainer off)
- Jimmy Chamberlin signature steel 5.5"x14" Snare (Mallets, Strainer on)
- Jimmy Chamberlin signature steel 5.5"x14" Snare (Mallets, Strainer off)
What mic channels are present and what equipment was used to record them?
- Kick In: Shure Beta 52 / API 3124 preamp
- Kick Out: Neumann FET 47 / API 3124 preamp
- Kick Resonant: Yamaha Sub Kick / Neve VR console channel preamp
- Snare Top: Shure Beta 57A / API 3124 preamp
- Snare Bottom: EV N/D457 / API 3124 preamp
- Snare Side: Violet Design Flamingo Jr. / ATI 8MX2 preamp
- Toms: Violet Design Globe / ATI 8MX2 preamp
- Overhead: Matched pairs of Nuemann KM184s or Violet Design Black Knight mics / ATI 8MX2 preamps
- Room: Violet Design Prototype omni capsules / Focusrite Red preamps
- Amb3: Nevaton MC404 stereo mic placed in the center of the room / Metric Halo ULN2 preamp
Is BFD Heavy an FXpansion product?
Yes - this expansion pack was produced by John Emrich for FXpansion and is distributed in download form on the FXpansion site.
How big is the download?
BFD Heavy is available in separate downloads for BFD3/BFD2 and BFD Eco (purchasing BFD Heavy gives you access to both):
- BFD Eco: 112MB + 66MB for Yamaha case samples
You should install this version if you intend to use BFD Heavy in BFD Eco only. This version comes with BFD Eco presets/kits - you do NOT need to use the Eco kits download, which is intended for the BFD2/BFD3 version. This version features all data pre-reduced for BFD Eco limitations (16-bit audio with a maximum of 24 velocity layers).
- BFD3/BFD2: approx 1.5GB in 4 files + 66MB for Yamaha case samples
You should install this version if you intend to use BFD Heavy in BFD2/BFD3. It will also work in BFD Eco - if this is something you require, you should additionally use the Eco kits download to obtain the BFD Heavy factory kits in BFD Eco format.
Do you allow license transfers?
- If you're the seller, you must contact us in advance of the sale. If you're the prospective second-hand buyer, you must check that the seller is cleared to sell. If in doubt, contact us.
- There is a flat $50 fee per product for a license transfer, which can be purchased from our online shop.
- Review copies, NFRs (Not For Resale copies, sometimes used for in-store demos), etc., cannot be transferred under any circumstances.
- We reserve the right to refuse a license transfer request.
Once a transfer is authorized and the fee has been paid, the new owner is entitled to exactly the same upgrade paths and technical support resources as if they had bought the product new.